Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Made It To Laos Finaly

So yes I am finally out of Thailand and it was an adventure to say the least....but the whole trip has been one adventure after another and I wouldn't have it any other way.
My amazing experience happened on my way to the cambodian emabassy to pick up my passport that I had left there earlier that day for my visa stamp and one that renewed my trust in people. I picked up a taxi outside of khosan rd. i thought that I had more than enough time to get to the embassy before it closed at 6. I left at 4:50 and was actually making good time when we hit the biggest traffic jam that I have seen. when we stoped it was just after 5:30 and we were only 2 blocks away from the embassy but by 5:45 we had only moved 20 meters or less. Then at alomost the same time the taxi driver and i said that maybe I should grab a motorcycle taxi and he would just meet me there when he could. so he flagged down a moto taxi for me and told them where I need to go and I jumped on the back. it was only after I was taking of that I remembered that my big backpack was still in his trunk.
The moto taxi weaved in and out of traffic and got me there with 5 min to spare. I made a run for the embassy only to be confronted by a guard that wanted to see my visa pickup receipt. I started a frantic search for it and just when I thought for sure that it was still in the taxi (i was looking at it just before I got out) I found it and was admited into the embassy. Then thinking that the taxi driver would take at least another 10-20 min to get there I went to brown sugar a very famous jazz club in Bangkok. it was right on the corner on the side street to the emabassy. it was really cool inside but the drink prices were outrages for thailand. I ordered a tiger beer...a small one and it cost 140 baht. but I thought that the taxi driver would be a long time but much to my surprise just seconds after the bartender opened it he drove by outside. But it was all good because I had my passport so I could finally leave on the night train to Laos. it was the best 140 baht beer I ever had.
I am curently in Vientiane but I am going to leave tomorrow to Luang Prabang via plane. I know that I said I was going to start my budget traviling but when I looked at the time it would take the bus to get there 9 hours and then I looked at the time for the flight 30 min I decided that the $50 was well within my budget.
I am thinking of changing my travel plans slightly. I think that i am going to skip vietnam now in favor of china. I have been hearing some bad things about vietnam and I can't really be bothered to go now. I have always wanted to go to China so I guess now is my chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home