Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Ankor Wat


What can I say about Ankor Wat other than it was truly an amazing experience and one that everyone in my opnion should see at least once in there lifetime. Ankor is a place full of mystery and energy. When you walk around Ankor you are first draw in by the detailed carvings that are almost eveywhere and then you are draw in by the sheer size of it.
The first day I spent from about 10am-6pm and probably only went in total 5 miles and that includes the 2 miles there and back...but it seemed like I was driving forever with my tuk-tuk driver which I rented for the whole day for $6. A steal if you ask me. I spent the first part of my morning walking around the stone headed wat of Bayon. Again words can not truly describe that place. That is why I bought a pen sketch of Bayon from a local artist that was on the top level sketching. Which does a much better job of capturing the feeling of the place. It was an intricate piece that he said took him 2 days to complete and by the look of the piece I believe him. I paid about $20 for the piece which was a steal in my opinion.
I spent a total of 3 days touring around the Ankor site but none was better than the last day when I awoke at 4:15 am (yes that right 4:15 am and there was no snowboarding involved) to catch the sunrise over Ankor. I was about the 4th person to arrive which was great because I was able to walk down The Causway all by myself with the stars still high above before the hoards of tourists arrive. It was a moving experience to say the least and one that I will never forget (Mike you were right about Ankor).
Next I found the best seat in the house to watch the sunrise behind the main wat of Ankor. As you can see from the pitcure which hopfully will come up before I post this blog.......ah ask and thal shall receive....here it comes now. The computers here in Cambodia are a little slowwwwww. Anyways as you can see it was a beautiful sunrise.
It was a welcome experiance from the unmemorable one that I had the day before. I was walking in town by the market when the 20th landmine victim came up to me asking for money. I told him no and continued my walk but I could hear him chasing me down from behind. But I just increased my pace with my 2 good legs as he tried to catch up with his one. Finally he gave up. It was a horrable experience but isn't that what he was going for? Either way not the best of my travel experiances so far. But it will be remembered along the Ankor sunrise for the rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home