Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Bears, TIgers, Change of Plans and Literaly Hanging Out Above a Waterfall


So I was going to leave Luang Prabang yesterday but I wokeup to a very big monsoon rainstorm and thought that it was better to go the next day. So today I actually made it out of my guesthouse and down to the boat dock to catch the boat north. The only problem was that there were only 3 of us and at $35 each it was a little more than I wanted to spend.
There was a bus leaving that I could of caught but one of the main reasons for going north was to take the boat ride which was supposed to be amazing. So left with the decision to go north or head back south towards vanviange I decided to let fate, in the way of a 5 baht coin, choose its course. The king I would go south the wat I would go north. I gave it 2 out of 3 and the south won. So I will stay one more day here and then its to vanviange tomorrow.
Now onto the bears, tiger and waterfall. Since I stayed in Luang Prabang yesterday I finally decided to go to the Kunasi waterfall. I got a tuk tuk with an american guy and his vietnamise girlfriend. the ride was bumpy but full of beautiful sceenary with rice fields and traditional lao houses set against backdrop of lush green mountains. The whole ride out there and hiking around the waterfall remided me so much of hiking around mt. hood. the funny thing was that the amrican guy was from portland.....small world.
When we got to the waterfall or I should say the parking lot we made our way to the trail after paying $1.50 entrance fee. The first stop along the way was a bear and tiger rescue center. There was about 8-10 black bears in a enclosure and there was a separate enclosure with a 5 month old tiger which was already quite large and dangerus looking. There was not much barrier between you and the animals which was really cool. After hanging out at the enclosures for a little bit we made are way up a beautiful but muddy path over small wooden bridges. After spending about 30 min waiting out another monsoons rain storm we finally made our way to the waterfall which was impressive to say the least. it was a 3 tiered waterfall and was probably about 300-500 feet tall. there was 2 trails leading up either side of the waterfall so we choose the trail to the right. it was about a 10 min walk to the end of the trail which was about halfway up the waterfall. the trail itself was impressive because you had to make your way over carved out stone steps which had water flowing down them. when you finally got to the end of the trail you were at a little piece of land right infront of the second tier. it was quite impressive.
We made our way back down and luckly decided to take the trail to the left which put you at the top of the waterfall. and when i say the top I mean you are litteraly walking at one point next to a wooden fence along the top edge of the waterfall. I have never been standing in the middle of a river just before it decends over the edge and let me tell you it was a experience to say the least. and if that wasn't enough there is this tree which was toppled over long ago which is still alive and lays over the waterfall. so I made my way out on the tree and i was sitting out over the waterfall which I can't even beging to describe the feelings that I was having. I think I almost gave the poor vietnamise girl a heat attack. I would recomend this hike to anyone.
So I think that I am now going to go to vietnam now. the ameican and his girlfriend have convinced me. plus they have shown me some really cool out of the way places to go. so off to vietnam I go.....after I go to southern laos and cambodia first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home